When it comes to cooking or baking, milk is an often overlooked ingredient. In fact, milk and other related dairy products play important roles in cooking.
Milk makes soups creamier, sauces smoother, casseroles more moist and desserts more delicious and nutritious.
There’s just so many ways to use milk in cooking and baking be it for a snack or dinners or even desserts and drinks it sure has its place in our daily food intake. Since milk is so commonly used in our daily food preparation, I choose Greenfields’ Fresh & Honest Milk!
Greenfields originated from Indonesia and was established in 1997. Greenfields milk is Honest Milk because there are no additives, no chemicals, no antibiotics and no hormones added in the process of milk production. The milk comes from their own scientifically-sourced and managed herd. The milk is produced, pasteurized and packed within the dairy. Optimal freshness is ensured as the milk is single-pasteurised. As the plant utilizes state-of-the-art automation, human contact with the products is eliminated, ensuring a high level of hygiene.
Here’s a little sweet snack that I made over the weekend using fresh milk. Zebra Cake that was baked to please!
220gms butter (I used salted)
1tsp vanilla extract
5 egg yolks
190gms cake flour (sifted)
4 tbsp fresh milk (room temperature)
5 egg whites
(D) – To dissolve the ingredients into a paste and set it aside
10gms cocoa powder
10gms instant coffee powder
3tbsp hot water
1.5tbsp fresh milk (room temperature) to be added into plain cake batter
Method of preparation
1) Separate the egg whites and egg yolks accordingly
2) In a large bowl, add butter, sugar and vanilla extract, with a handheld mixer (or electric mixer) to mix the ingredients till it’s creamy and slightly off white in colour
3) Add the egg yolks one at a time into the mixture, mix well after each addition. Tip in the cake flour and combine the mixture.
4) Pour in the milk from ingredient (B), with a spatula fold the mixture well.
5) In a separate large bowl, beat the egg whites till foamy, then add in sugar gradually over 2-3x; beat egg whites till soft peaks is formed.
6) Take 1/3 of the egg white mixture and combine it with the egg yolk mixture till well mixed. With a spatula gradually fold in the remaining egg white mixture over another 2 times till all egg white mixture are well combined with egg yolk mixture.
7) Divide the cake batter into 2 equal portions. In one portion add in the cocoa & coffee paste till it’s well combined (note: please use the folding method to mix, not to overmix).
8) In the remaining cake batter, add ingredient (E), mix well (again use the folding method and gently mix till combined).
9) You may pour the 2 batter into separate piping bags or simply use 2 large spoons to add the batter accordingly.
10) Here’s a demo of how the cake batter is added (Click on this link for video)
11) Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 45 minutes or until skewer insert comes out clean.
12) Leave the cake to cool completely on a wire rack before cutting and serving or storing.
*Recipe adapted from Vivian Pang Kitchen.
Greenfields milk is available at leading supermarkets and 7-11 convenient stores. Fresh Milk, High Calcium Low Fat, High Calcium Skimmed milk and Chocolate Malt comes in 1 litre packs (S$3.25). Fresh milk 200ml packs and Chocolate Malt 200ml packs – only in selected Cold Storage (S$1.20) and 7-11 convenient stores ($1.50). Fresh Milk, High Calcium Low Fat also comes in 2 litres bottle (S$5.95).
Disclaimer : This is a sponsored post. Product attributes mentioned are provided by Greenfields. Opinions are 100% my own.