It’s with great pleasure we have here with us at Homecooks Spotlight, Lolandra Soh. Let’s see what she has to share with us today.
Hi, I’m Lolandra, a working single who loves to cook. When I was little, I would always ask my mum to let me fried eggs whenever she was cooking. I would be standing on a little stool and she would stand behind me while I cooked. When I got older, I would collect recipes from magazines, paste them in a notebook and try them out whenever I got the chance. I remember cooking the Herbal Chicken for the family and received positive feedback from them, even from the most fussy one. Nowadays, I like to do experimental cooking / baking and try to come up with my own recipes.
- What inspires you when it comes to food?
- Beautiful food photos and dishes with unique names. I would look at the photos and the names, try to figure out how the dishes were done and then try to recreate them or incorporate these ideas into my own recipes.
- What do you enjoy about cooking or baking?
- I find cooking and baking very therapeutic. Whenever I’m stressed up or frustrated, I will try to cook or bake even if it is just a simple dish. The preparation, cooking / baking and decorating take my mind off from the negative stuff. Of course the best part comes from the satisfaction of getting positive reviews from family and friends.
- Where do most of your recipes come from?
- From Internet, food blogs, magazines, newspapers, my mum and my own creation.
- What is your favourite kind of food to make?
- I have sweet tooth so I prefer to make desserts. They can range from simple to elaborated, Asian to Western.
- Do you plan a weekly menu? If so, what inspires your menu?
- Usually I do my cooking and baking during the weekends so I will try to plan ahead so I know what ingredients to get. It depends on what I crave for at the time of planning and also what dishes I plan to experiment on.
- What is your favourite recipe posted on your blog/website?
Sunkist Orange Steamed Egg Custard (新奇士橙炖蛋) [click here for recipe]
- What is your favourite kitchen tool/appliance?
- Definitely my Happycall Pan.
- What kind of food did you eat growing up? Do you cook the same kinds of things today?
I’m a Cantonese so there were always soup during meals. My mum also liked to create her own dishes but unfortunately I didn’t manage to pick up her skills and recipes while she was around. Lately I try to cook more soup, especially double-boiled soup as well as recreate some of her dishes from memories.
- What is your favourite part about blogging?
- Posting photos of my creations as well as sharing recipes with like-minded people.
- What was the first dish you’ve ever cooked?
I think it was fried eggs because I love fried eggs.
- Which are your favourite food blogs/websites?
Noobcook, Cuisine Paradise, The Little Teochew, Just One Cookbook to name a few.
A recipe to share with Munch Ministry readers:
Jackfruit Ice Cream (No Ice Cream Machine required)
200ml whipping cream
185g jackfruit puree*
85g icing sugar
1. Whisk whipping cream till foamy for about 3 mins
2. Add icing sugar in three batches and whisk the mixture after every addition
3. Add jackfruit puree and whisk till well combined
4. Pour mixture into a container of your choice and put into the freezer
5. Remove from freezer after 2 hours to churn** with a fork
6. Repeat step (5) for another two times before freezing it overnight
* Use about 130g-140g of jackfruit (seeds removed) with 4 tbsp low fat milk to blend into puree. Save any leftover puree for decoration
** Try to churn the mixture in a whisking manner to try to incorporate as much air into the mixture as possible
Thank you, Lolandra for sharing with us about yourself! If you want to read more from Lolandra, here is where you can find her: