Egg Tarts 黑妈妈蛋挞
(Adapted from Hei mama & smallsmallbaker)
Yields 18 Tarts (Depending on your tart size)
• 120g sugar
• 350g water
• 5 eggs, lightly beaten
• 100g evaporated milk
1. Heat up water and sugar until sugar dissolves. Leave it to cool.
2. Then add in beaten eggs and evaporated milk. Mix well, sieve the egg mixture and set aside.
• 300g plain flour
• 2 tbsp custard powder (i omitted the custard powder totally because i couldn’t justify getting a whole packet of it for just 2 tbsp)
• 2 tbsp milk powder ( 2 tbsp was a little too over-powdering for a non milk lover like me, reduce or increase at your own discretion)
• 1 tbsp sugar
• 1 egg
• 200g butter
1. Cut cold butter into small cubes.
2. Combine flour, custard powder and milk powder and mix well. Rub in the cold butter, add sugar, mix well and add beaten egg, mix to form a soft dough (do not knead).
3. Wrap with cling wrap and refrigerate before use. ( i refrigerated mine for about 20 mins just to firm it up for easy handling)
4. Divide the pastry dough equally into 18 pieces about 30g each (depending on your mould size). Press the dough into tart moulds evenly.
5. Fill into the tarts till 90% full. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg C for 20 mins.
For more on our ‘Bake With’ Series click on here.
Bio : Charlynn Gwee
Hi, i’m Charlynn and am currently a final year business student graduating in May. Apart from studying, i’m also a freelance photographer & “part-time” home baker. Baking is my thing but i love cooking too! It just came together one day and it instantly hits me!
Being passionate about what i love makes me hungry for knowledge & that’s what drives me to experiment with different ingredients, techniques, reading up & watching countless videos . Joy from people who loves my food brings me great satisfaction!