Here’s our very first homecook to be given the spotlight at Homecooks Spotlight – Ann! I’m so glad that I was led to her website sometime ago – I am so in love with her recipes! And I’m so glad she is here to share with us today so we can learn more about her!
Hi! I’m Ann, the author of Anncoo Journal started 4 years ago. I love to bake and cook for my family and friends. My strong passion for culinary skills came from a very young age by watching my grandmother prepare delicious meals for my family.
What do you enjoy about cooking or baking?
I believe baking is an art and love to share my baking and cooking experiences with everyone in the world.
Where do most of your recipes come from?
From cookbooks, newspaper cuttings and from food bloggers, also some of my own creations.
What is your favourite kind of food to make?
Simple and easy and I love tofu.
Do you plan a weekly menu? If so, what inspires your menu?
No, I don’t. Just cook whatever came to my mind or dishes request by my family.
What was the first dish you’ve ever cooked?
Steamed fish and fried eggs with prawns and onions at the age of 12.
What is your favourite recipe posted on your blog/website?
Mini Tofu Chiffon Cake (click here for the recipe)
What is your favourite kitchen tool/appliance?
Kenwood and Kitchen Aid cake mixer, pressure cooker.
What kind of food did you eat growing up? Do you cook the same kinds of things today?
Chinese food – steam tofu with fish paste, soup, chicken. Yes, I cook these quite often as the recipes are passed down by my grandma.
What is the best thing you’ve ever eaten? The strangest?
Best thing I’ve eaten was roast duck in Yunnan, Kuming. The strangest was live octopus sashimi in Korea.
What is your favourite part about blogging?
Meeting new and talented friends. Some even turned into real life friends. Also learning new recipes from many talented bloggers.
What is your best tip to becoming a successful blogger?
Upgrading photography skills as most readers judge the recipes by the pictures. I’m no pro but I’ve certainly made a lot of progress since one year ago. Sharing recipes generously.
Which are your favourite food blogs/websites?
David Lebovitz, Cake Journal, Cake Whiz, Cuisine Paradise and NoobCook.
Please share a recipe with our Munch Ministry readers.
Braised Chicken with Miso Paste
1 Kg Whole Chicken or Chicken Thigh – cut to pieces
500g Potatoes – remove skin and soak in salted water for a while then cut to pieces
2 1/2 tbsp Miso paste or Fermented Soy Bean Paste (here)
1 1/2 tbsp Garlic – chopped
2 tbsp Dark soy sauce ( ???????)
1 tsp Sugar
250 – 300ml Water
1/2 tbsp Corn flour with 1 tbsp water (optional)
- Clean and wash chicken. Pat dry chicken with kitchen towel and cut to pieces. Season chicken with 1/2 tsp each of sesame oil, salt, pepper and 1 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauceand marinate chicken for 1-2 hours.
- Heat enough oil in wok, add chopped garlic and miso paste and fry for a while till aromatic.
- Add in chicken pieces with another 2 tbsp dark soy sauce and 1 tsp sugar, continue to stir fry chicken well.
- Lastly add in cut potatoes, mix well with the chicken, add in 250ml water or water just enough to cover the chicken. Bring water to boil and cover with lid, lower heat and simmer for about 20 mins or potatoes soften.
- Add a little more water when the sauce dries up a little.
- Lastly add corn flour with water as thickening. (optional)
- Serve hot with rice.
Thank you so much Ann! We loved learning more about you! If you want to find out more about Ann and her wonderful food, here is where you can find her!