I am a stay at home mum with 4 kids to care for. Cooking has been my passion since a very young age. When I first moved into my new house, though the kitchen was still in the midst of renovation, I already started preparing our meal almost every weekend and occasionally some nights with the help of a rice cooker, pressure cooker and a electric multipurpose steamboat. Three years ago with the encouragement from my friends and family, I started to run a cooking workshop thread with Singapore Motherhood Forum and it was really fun to work with pretty mummies who really hope to whip up a nice heartwarming meal for their loved ones. Our relationships never cease after my cooking workshops and this was how my culinary journey started and my recipes accumulated over the passed years.
Interview Questions –
1. What inspires you when it comes to food?
Food that tastes really good from restaurants to zi-char stalls and photos of food will also stir up my desires to cook it in my kitchen.
2. What do you enjoy about cooking or baking?
I enjoyed most whenever I see the satisfying look from my kids with the plate totally clean up and my dish totally gone within an hour.
3. Where do most of your recipes come from?
I wrote my own recipes from the taste I can remember or taste and flavor that I want to achieve.
4. What is our favourite kind of food to make?
Any type of dish that is easy to prepare yet simple and tasty.
5. Do you plan a weekly menu? If so, what inspires your menu?
I don’t often plan for a weekly menu unless I have new dishes in mind to try out. Daily marketing helps me look out for fresh ingredients that catches my attention to serve for the day.
6. What is your favourite recipe posted on your blog/website?
One of my kids favorite dish – ABC with Minced Meat Stew
7. What is your favourite kitchen tool/appliance?
My humble wok which has been working very hard for me through the years.
8. What is your best tip for getting dinner on the table?
Plan ahead and get the marinating or cutting done the night before is what I usually do.
9. What kind of food did you eat growing up?
Do you cook the same kinds of things today? My mum’s Hokkien and my Dad’s Teochew home cooking. Sometimes whenever I miss my childhood food which brings back memories.
10. What is your favourite part about blogging?
When I know that my humble dishes are appreciated and well liked by their loved ones.
11. What was the first dish you’ve ever cooked?
I remember during my lower primary school day, I took the opportunity to fry an Omelette with spring onion in it for my dad who was having his game with his friend in our kitchen.
Recipe to share –
Simple and Tasty One pot dish : “ABC with Minced Meat Stew”
250g Minced Meat
1 Big Onion,
1 Tbsp Minced Garlic,
1/2 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
Dash of pepper.
1 1/2 Tbsp dark soy sauce,
1/2 Tbsp thick dark soy sauce
1 Tbsp chinese wine
1. Stir fry potatoes and carrot till half cook, add in onion, garlic till fragrant follow by minced meat.
2. Add water and the rest of the seasonings and stew till the potatoes soften.
For more of Wendy’s delicious food check this link
Photo courtesy of Wendy Quek.