This week, we have Karen Yee, contributing to our “My Dinner Under One Hour”.
GARLIC BUTTER STIR FRY BROCCOLI
- Florets of 1 large Broccoli
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 knob of butter
- 1 tbsp of salt for blanching the broccoli
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp Canola oil
1) Blanch Broccoli florets in a pot boiling. Add about 1 tbsp of salt to the water to keep them green. Blanch till vegetable is tender but still firm (Usually takes about 3 mins). Remove and put vegetables to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Then drain of any excess water.
2) Heat oil and butter up to medium heat. Add garlic and stir fry till fragrant. I like that the garlic start to turn a little golden.
3) Add broccoli to the pan and stir fry for a minute. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2 Medium Potato and 1 large Sweet Potato, peeled and cut into ½” cubes
1 Large Onion, sliced
3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
2 tsp of Fresh Chopped Parsley
2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
1 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1) Preheat the oil and butter in your Happycall pan OR large non stick skillet over medium heat, add the potatoes, toss to coat them in the oil and butter mixture and cover the pan. Allow the potatoes to cook covered for 8 to 10 minutes. If using Happycall, flip in between.
2) Remove the lid and increase the heat between medium and medium high, add the onion and red bell pepper and make sure you try to push the veggies down a little to get them to be almost in a single layer so they can develop some color.
3) Allow the veggies to cook on all sides for about 15 minutes and develop a good golden brown color but don’t stir them too much.
4) Add the parsley and garlic and season with salt and pepper and cook for 1 more minute.
SPICY BUTTERMILK GRILLED CHICKEN
(recipe adapted from Bobby Flay’s recipe on Foodnetwork.com)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large lime, zested and juiced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoon of chilli powder (OPTIONAL)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves or parsley leaves
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 5 chicken drumsticks (You may use chicken breast too)
- Canola oil
1) Whisk together the buttermilk, lime zest and juice, garlic, chilli powder (OPTIONAL), cumin, turmeric, cilantro, and salt and pepper, to taste, in a large bowl. Pour the marinade into a large ziplog plastic bag, add the chicken, seal the bag and refrigerate. Marinade chicken legs or breasts, up to 24 hours. If using fish, marinate white fish such as snapper, bass up to 30 minutes.
2) Preheat the grill pan over medium heat. If you are using chicken breast or fish, turn to medium low heat. Remove the meat/fish from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Brush with oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste, on both sides. Grill until golden brown and charred on both sides and just cooked through. Sprinkle some chopped cilantro to garnish and gives a very fresh smell as you serve.
*Photos and recipes courtesy of Karen Yee, member of Munch Ministry