2 shallots, peeled and pounded
5 cloves garlic, peeled and pounded
3-4 tablespoon oil
3 Tbsp salted taucheo (fermented bean sauce)
1/2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
1 Tbsp light soy sauce
1/2tbsp of palm sugar(gula melakka, chopped)
1 kampong chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces, about 18 pieces/drums,joints
4 small boiling potatoes (Yukons or Reds will hold better than Russets), peeled and cut into large pieces
3-4 cups water(taste accordingly to ur likable salty level)
cornflour mixture,optional(to thicken gravy)
Prep and Cooking Instructions
1. Pound shallots and garlic into a coarse paste. Set aside.
2. Heat oil over medium heat, add shallots and garlic paste and fry for about 2 minutes, making sure not to burn the paste.
3. Add tauheo, dark soy sauce, and palm sugar. Stir until palm sugar has dissolved and liquid has thickened, about 30 seconds.
4. Add chicken and potatoes and the cups of water. Bring to a boil.
5. When the water boils, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20-30 min or until the chicken is tender.
Additional Comments About this Recipe
u may alter e amount of taucheo/gula melakka to ur own likeness of sweet and saltiness.
For my kids ,they like it more savoury sweet,so i added more gula melakka.
I didnt thicken the sauce as im keeping it for next day noon with white porridge,its known that ayam pongteh
taste better if its kept overnite:)
Recipe submitted by Angelin Goh, a Munch Ministry member.