Claypot Fishhead – “Sha Guo Yu Tou”2012-07-23
- Servings : 5
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
- 1 large good quality fishhead (halved and washed)
- 1 piece of pork belly thinly sliced and rub in some corn starch (you may also use roasted pork belly)
- Corn starch for dusting and deep frying fishhead
- Half the Chinese cabbage and roughly chopped (you can use the whole cabbage if you prefer)
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 2 stalks of celery cut into chunks
- 1 small can of button mushrooms (Cut mushrooms into halves)
- Some baby corn (optional)
- One block of toufu, cubed (optional)
- Yam cut into chunks (optional)
- 2 inches of ginger thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic diced
- Scallions and cilantro for garnishing
- 1 tbsp of Thai fishsauce (you may modify the amount depending on your liking)
- 1 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 cup of unsalted or lightly salted chicken stock
- 1 tsp of dark soy sauce (more if you like a darker sauce)
- 1 tsp of sesame oil
- 1 tbsp of chinese rice wine
- Oil for frying and cooking
- White pepper and salt to be added to your liking
- Some water for simmering
- Corn starch for thickening the sauce slightly
- Heat up a fair amount of corn or peanut oil for deep frying the fishhead.
- Coat both half of the fishhead with cornstarch and fry them till slightly golden on each sides. Put 3 to 4 pieces of ginger slices in to fry as well.
- Set aside to drain of excess oil.
- ** If using toufu, you can continue to fry the toufu and set aside.
- Remove oil from the wok. Leave about 2 tbsp with the ginger behind for frying the vegetables and meat.
- Put in remaining ginger slices and garlic and fry till fragrant.
- Add pork belly, some dark soy sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine, sesame oil and stirfry for about 2 mins.
- Add the mushrooms, yam and all vegetables to the wok and stirfry for about 2 mins mixing the ingredients around.
- Add the chicken stock and cover to allow some simmering till vegetables and pork slices are soften.
- Add salt and white pepper to your liking.
- Meantime, place the fried fishhead and toufu in a large claypot or casserole, pour in the vegetable and gravy over the fishhead. You may need to add some hot water so that the gravy fishhead will be partially covered.
- If you are not serving immediately, just cover the pot and set aside. Before serving, add some cornstarch mixture (about 2 tbsp or cornstarch to 1 tbsp of water) to thicken the sauce, allow to simmer and bring to a boil on low heat.
- Garnish with scallions and cilantro before serving.
This dish is delicious and you can prepare in advance to be served later. Yummy and easy!!
Average Member Rating
(4 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe