- Yield : 1 cake
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 1m
- Ready In : 0m
4 packets of agar agar powder (Redman or Globe brand preferred)
1 tin of mixed fruit cocktail (separate fruits from syup)
coconut milk (i use packet coconut milk – either kara or ayam is fine)
1) Cook one packet of agar agar with coconut milk – i use about 500ml water with 250ml coconut milk. Add sugar according to taste (depending on how sweet you prefer your agar agar)
2) once its boiled, pour into konyakku or other jelly moulds based on the shapes and designs you wish to use.
3) for letters, pour into any cake pan upto about 1cm height … size of cake pan depending on the number of letters you require. Set your colours as you desire.
4) when agar agar is totally set, remove from mould and set aside. For letters, remove from mould and invert. cut letters using cookie cutters.
1) depending on the size of the jelly cake you wish to have, prepare a cake pan (of any shape you wish)
2) use the jelly prepared in Part 1 to decorate on the cake pan. Remember that you will invert the jelly cake, so your design must be placed upside down – so that you should see the right picture you want when you see from the base of the cake pan.
3) when decorations complete, cook the rest of the agar agar packs. i usually cook 1/3 clear agar agar (without coconut milk) and 2/3 coconut agar agar. Tip – cook both pots at the same time. I usually replace the water for the clear agar agar with the can fruit syrup, so i cut down / omit the sugar.
4) i prefer to use white / colourless agar agar and add colours on my own along the way
5) once agar agar is boiled – start by gently pouring the transparent agar agar into the cake pan. Note gently – ensure the letters and mould might move out of place.
6) let the transparent layer set to 80%, usually takes only a couple of min
7) then pour a thin layer (maybe slightly lesser than 1cm) of white agar agar on the transparent layer. this helps to set the patterns clearer as yr pattern (from the moulds) would likely be coloured.
8) once this white layer is 80% set – spread the drained mix fruit cocktail around the cake pan … try to fill all areas
9) then alternate clear and transparent layers of agar agar in the cake pan until both pots of agar agar is used up. Remember to wait till 80% set before pouring the next layer.
10) try to ensure the last layer is with coconut milk as it tends to be more solid (harder).
11) let it set completely before removing from mould and inverting over.
Average Member Rating
(4.8 / 5)
5 people rated this recipe