- Yield : 9" Springform Cake Pan
- Servings : 10-12
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 2:0 h
- Ready In : 0m
Ingredients (For the Sponge Cake):
150g cake flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon milk powder
60g cooking oil
4 egg yolks
80g icing sugar
1 and 1/2 teaspoon lychee essence (can change if making different flavours =). )
4 egg whites
100g icing sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Ingredients (For Lychee Frosting) – love this frosting because very light and not oily!:
2 cups of whipping cream
3 tablespoons (sharp sharp) of icing sugar (add more if you’ve a sweet tooth…)
1-2 teaspoons lychee essence
1-2 drops of rose pink colouring ( I used 1 drop, very pretty before frosting, but when frosting, its colour somehow looks pale with the cake. Will try 2-3 drops next time.)
2 cans of lychee (remove the sugar syrup)
Prep and Cooking Instructions
1. Sift ingredients (A) and put it aside
2. Whisk yolks and sugar till it turns pale yellow color
3. Add oil, water and lychee essence and mix till well blended
4. Add ingredients (A) and mix it slowly till it forms a smooth batter
5. Whisk (C) till stiff peak
6. Fold in 1/3 of egg yolk mixture into the egg white gently. Repeat for the remaining egg yolk mixture.
7. Preheat oven to 180°C. (I’m using microwave convection oven, so up a bit to 200°C.)
8. Pour cake mix into cake tin. (I’m using a 9” cake tin, will use something smaller next time for this mix.)
9. Bake in oven for 30-45 minutes. (Try not to open up and check because sponge may fail.)
10. While baking, mix all frosting ingredients except lychee to stiff peak.
11. Cut 1 can of lychee into bits.
12. Mix with half of the whipped cream. Refrigerate both whipped cream until ready to use.
13. Remove cake from oven once it’s cooked, invert and cool.
14. Slice cake into half (top and bottom).
15. Layer whipped cream with the lychee bits between the cake.
16. Frost your cake with lychee whipped cream without lychee bits.
17. Decorate your cake with the remaining lychees and another other special things you’d like!
Additional Comments About this Recipe
Hope you enjoy this cake as much as my family did~
P/S: If you’d want to the Lychee Martini version, you may soak your lychees into vodka for 30 minutes to 2 hours (depends on your preferred taste intensity) and drain well before cutting. Add 1-2 teaspoons of vodka into your cake batter before baking.
Sponge Recipe Adapted from:
Submitted by Karen Tay, a Munch Ministry member.
Average Member Rating
(2.2 / 5)
6 people rated this recipe