Molly’s Mee Siam2012-05-13
- Servings : 12
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
Mee Siam :
50-60 dried chillies
2tbsp shrimp paste (optional)
Salt to taste
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp dried prawns, pounded finely
1.2 kg bean sprouts, washed n drained
625g bee hoon soak overnight n drained
Mee Siam Gravy :
8 tbsp preserved soya beans, pound coarsely.
6 tbsp sugar
2 walnut size tamarind with 225ml water, squeezed n strained
1.8 litres water
Spicy Sambal :
40g dried chilly
10 small onion
1tsp shrimp paste (optional)
8 tbsp oil
1 big onion, chopped finely
Salt to taste
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp tamarind with 125ml water, squeezed n strained.
12 hard boiled eggs, cut in wedges
4 big tau kwa, fried and cut into cubes
625g prawn, shelled and boiled
115g chives, cut into 2.5cm
310g lime, cut in halves
Prep and Cooking Instructions
Method for Mee Siam :
1. Pound [A] to a fine paste.
2. Heat oil in wok mix dried prawn with A n fry the paste till fragrant n oil comes through. Set aside 3 tbsp of this fried paste n some oil for the gravy.
3. Add [B] and simmer.
4. Add the bean sprouts and stir fry for 1 min. Push aside and add the bee hoon and stir fry over high heat. Continue stirring till gravy is absorbed.
5. Mix bean sprouts and bee hoon thoroughly. Reduce heat stir and cook till bee hoon is dry n fluffy. Remove to cool on a large tray.
Method for Gravy :
1. Mix [A] in a saucepan. Stir and bring to boil. Let simmer for 20 mins.
2. Add 3 tbsp fried paste and oil. Boil for 5 mins. Remove from heat and serve hot.
Method for Spicy Sambal :
1. Grind chilly, small onion and shrimp paste till fine.
2. Heat oil n fry chopped onion till soft n slightly brown. Add chilly paste and fry over a moderate heat till fragrant and oil comes through.
3. Add salt, sugar and half of the tamarind water. Stir fry for 1 min, add the rest of the tamarind water and cook for another 2 mins, stirring all the time. Remove to a bowl. Serve with the Mee Siam if you want it spicy.
Recipe by Molly Tay, a Munch Ministry member.
Average Member Rating
(4 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe