- 1 bunch spinach or baby spinach (heng cai in Cantonese or xian cai in Mandarin) – I prefer baby spinach coz it’s easier to prepare and more tender
- 10 fish balls
- 2-3 chicken breast bones
- 250g pork ribs
- a few dried scallops
- a handful of dried shrimp
- a handful of ikan bilis
- 3 cloves garlic (keep the skin on)
- Place chicken bones and pork ribs in a soup pot of water (with enough water to cover the ingredients) and bring the water to a boil. Discard the water (it should be full of scum and impurities) and place the chicken bones and pork ribs in a soup bag together with the washed ikan bilis, dried shrimp and garlic.
- Place all the ingredients (except the spinach and fish balls) into the soup pot of water.
- Bring to a boil then simmer on low heat for at least two hours.
- In a saucepan, bring some water to boil then blanch the spinach for about 30 seconds, just to ‘clean’ the spinach (spinach is in the dirty dozen list).
- Add the fish balls and spinach only when about to serve as they cook really fast.
Add salt/fish sauce to taste (only after adding the fish balls as fish balls also add to the saltiness of the soup).
Recipe shared by Angeline Ng
Bio : Angeline Ng
Angeline is a stay-home mom to two lovely children who have given her new insights to life as she now finds herself on a journey of re-discovery of the world through their little eyes. She’s a firm believer of providing home-cooked goodness for her family and blogs regularly about cooking, home-learning activities and parenting. You can find her at Simply Mommie and on Facebook.