Yields 2 small loafs
Adapted from Nigella Lawson
• 1-1/4 sticks Soft unsalted butter (160g)
• 2 tbsp Lyle’s Golden maple syrup
• 1 cup Brown sugar (I used slightly more than 1/2 cup = 70g)
• 1 cup All purpose flour/plain flour, sifted (115g)
• 1/2 tsp Baking soda
• 3 tbsp Unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (i used Valrhona cocoa powder)
• 2 large Eggs
• zest of 2 regular orange and juice of 1 (1/3 cup = 60g orange juice – from one orange)
1. Preheat the oven to 165 degrees C and line your loaf pan with parchment paper all sides up.
2. Beat the already soft butter with syrup and the sugar until you have a fairly smooth cream, though the sugar will have a bit of grit about it.
3. Mix the flour, baking soda, and cocoa powder together, and beat into the syrup mixture one tablespoonful of the dry ingredients before beating in 1 egg. Then add another couple of spoonfuls of the dry ingredients before beating in the second egg.
4. Carrying on beating in the remaining dry ingredients and then add, still beating, the orange zest and finally, gradually, the juice. At this stage, the batter may suddenly look dimpled, as if slightly curdled.
5. Pour and scrape into the prepared pan and bake for about 40 – 45 minutes, though check 5 minutes before and be prepared to keep it in the oven 5 minutes longer if needed. A cake tester won’t come out entirely clean, as the point of this cake, light though it may be, is to have just a hint of inner stickiness.
6. Let cool a little in the pan on a wire rack, then turn out with care and leave on the rack to cool.
Bio : Charlynn Gwee
Hi, i’m Charlynn and am currently a final year business student graduating in May. Apart from studying, i’m also a freelance photographer & “part-time” home baker. Baking is my thing but i love cooking too! It just came together one day and it instantly hits me!
Being passionate about what i love makes me hungry for knowledge & that’s what drives me to experiment with different ingredients, techniques, reading up & watching countless videos . Joy from people who loves my food brings me great satisfaction!