This super cheesy spinach mushroom quiche is quick and easy to make. Make my version of a homemade crust or use a pre-made crust for an even quicker meal! Great for brunch or dinner!
I love brunch and if there’s anything good enough for a brunch meal, it would have to be quiche! A giant slice of quiche stuffed with cheese, bacon, spinach, caramelized onions…. Does it get any better?
The nice thing about quiche is that it’s quick to put together and if you can bake one (or two) at a time then you’ve got brunch when you don’t have the time or patience to be domestic during the lazy weekends.
Here’s the recipe I used today –
Basic Quiche, serves 6-8
For Pastry dough
2 1/4 cups plain flour
175gm cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 tsp salt
6 to 8 tbsp ice water (if the mixture is still crumbly, add additional water 1 tbsp at a time)
1 large onion, finely chopped
5-6 brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 pack Baby Spinach (bought from the supermart); boiled, drained and finely chopped
1/3 cup fresh milk
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
3 slices chicken ham, cut into small squares
6 cherry tomatoes, cut into small cubes
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Method of preparation
Make pastry dough:
1) Blend together flour, butter and salt in a big bowl with your fingertips, until mixture resembles coarse meal.
2) Drizzle 6tbsp ice water over mixture and gently stir or gently knead until incorporated
3) Test mixture by gently squeezing a small handful (it should hold together). If not, add more water, 1tbsp at a time. (Do not overwork the dough)
4) Turn dough out onto a work surface and divide into 2 portions. With heel of your hand, smear each portion once in a forward motion to distribute the dough.
5) Form each portion of dough into a pie pan
6) Wrap in cling wrap and chill until firm (1hr and above) or up to 1 day
1) Fry mushrooms, onions, tomatoes & ham until onions are tender
2) Add spinach into frying pan together with the rest of ingredients in step 1
3) In a separate large bowl, mix mayo, milk, eggs and cheddar cheese
4) Cool hot mixture slightly and add to the large bowl of ingredients in step 3
5) Pour into pie shell and top with parmesan cheese
6) Preheat oven at 180 degrees celcius
7) Bake for 30-45 mins until set and golden brown.
This quiche can be eaten right away after it’s been left to set for 10mins after the baking process completes or covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
*Check out Pauline’s Grocery Haul at Mamabliss to gain more ideas on what to cook for daily dinners.